Splitter has not only been built to split through the logs, but has been built to be your best mate in your worksite. No matter what the size of the wood you have, getting yourself the best gas log splitter can do your job efficiently.
Besides checking out the best options in this Gas Log Splitter Review, there are some of the factors that you should think about as well. These will help make the decision process a breeze so you can make a right choice. Let’s explore them!
- REVIEWS OF BEST GAS LOG SPLITTER – OUR TOP PICKS
- 1. CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT GAS LOG SPLITTER
- 2. CHAMPION 7-TON COMPACT GAS LOG SPLITTER
- 3. NORTHSTAR HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL GAS LOG SPLITTER
- 4. WEN 56222 LUMBERJACK GAS-POWERED LOG SPLITTER
- 5. YARDMAX YS2865 GAS LOG SPLITTER
- 6. SPEECO HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL GAS LOG SPLITTER
- 7. RUGGEDMADE GAS POWERED HYDRAULIC LOG SPLITTER
- 8. SWISHER GAS POWERED LOG SPLITTER
- 9. SPORTSMAN EARTH SERIES GAS POWERED LOG SPLITTER
- Factors To Consider While Buying a Log Splitter
REVIEWS OF BEST GAS LOG SPLITTER – OUR TOP PICKS
1. CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT GAS LOG SPLITTER
This hydraulic log splitter offers 25 tons of heavy-duty and dependable log splitting in a portable gas-powered unit. It measures in at 40.75 x 85.83 x 45.87 inches, and it can handle a maximum log diameter and length of 24 inches. The core of this unit is its 196 ccs Champion single-cylinder engine with a fuel capacity of 0.93 gallons. As a safety precaution, the engine will automatically shut itself off when it is running low on oil.
This Champion log splitter has a 14 second no-load cycle, a built-in log cradle, catcher and an adjustable stroke return. It can handle logs that weigh up to 100 pounds, so you never have to worry about overwhelming the unit. It has wheels for portability, and it uses a two-inch ball coupler to attach to your vehicle.
- 4-stroke 196 cc single-cylinder engine; air-cooled to prevent overheating
- Hydraulic power; exerts 25 tons of force
- Cast iron sleeve; almost impossible to break
- Skewed wedge and log stripper; makes it easy to remove a log from the wedge after it is split
- Cylinder automatically recoils for easy operation
- Two-pull starting mechanism
- 16-inch wheels; DOT approved for a maximum speed of 45 miles per hour
- Measures in at 40.75 x 85.83 x 45.87 inches; weighs 396 pounds
The Champion Power Equipment Gas Log Splitter is a powerhouse that uses a powerful engine to quickly split logs as fast as you can stack them. If you need a heavy-duty piece of equipment, then this gas-powered machine is able to handle tough jobs without slowing down during the process.
Its two-pull starting mechanism, 22 tons of power and 14 second cycle time makes it one of the best gas log splitters on the market today.
If you need power and portability, then this unit is one that you need to consider. The unit’s cast iron sleeve makes it tough and durable, and its auto-shutoff engine protects the unit when it is running low on oil. This unit is a great deal, and when you buy it, you can feel confident knowing that won’t have to buy another splitter for years.
- Operates both horizontally and vertically
- 14 seconds for a complete cycle
- Includes two-inch towing hitch; can be towed up to 45 miles per hour
- CARB air emissions compliant
- Log catcher included
- Easy starting mechanism
- The external hydraulic oil filter can be changed in seconds
- Engine shuts off when oil is low
- Cannot be run inside; runs on gas, so the emissions can be harmful in an enclosed area
- Debris can get stuck in the wedge; users must make sure that it stays clean
2. CHAMPION 7-TON COMPACT GAS LOG SPLITTER
The Champion Compact Horizontal Gas Log Splitter gives you 7 tons of splitting power; its 208 cc gas-powered engine can easily cut through the toughest logs without a hitch. When compared to similar models, this unit is a real steal. The manufacturers created an affordable unit that uses a dual design to increase the unit’s speed an efficiency, so you end up with a powerful and fast unit that can keep up with units that are twice its price.
The OVH engine in this unit has a cast iron sleeve, dual ball bearings and a forged crankshaft, so you never have to worry about it breaking down during a tough job. The unit can handle large logs up to 25 inches in length and 16 inches in diameter. It splits twice as many logs per cycle, so you can get your work done twice as fast.
- Wedge made of steel for durability
- Seven second cycle time
- 4 x 24 inch cylinder
- OVH engine
- 25 x 16 inch max log size
- Unit measures 61 x 39 x 36 inches; weighs 360 pounds
- Two-inch ball coupler
The Powerhorse is a great unit that can easily cut through seasoned or fresh wood. It uses a gas-powered engine to slice through knots, and it’s built for durability, so you never have to worry about it breaking down during a job. It uses dual split technology to split wood twice as fast as other units, and because of this, we feel that this unit exceeds expectations by a mile.
The Powerhorse is perfect for people who need a log splitter that doesn’t need to be moved often. It weighs 360 pounds, but that’s because of the high-quality materials that the manufacturer uses when building it. We really like the dual splitting technology, and we wholeheartedly recommend this unit to people who need a high-quality stationary unit.
- Dual split design
- Tested for high performance
- Durable design
- 360 pounds; can’t be moved manually
3. NORTHSTAR HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL GAS LOG SPLITTER
The NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical Gas Log Splitter gives you 37 tons of splitting power from its gas-powered engine; this allows you to exert around 3,500 pounds of force per square inch, so you never have to worry about tough logs clogging your machine. You can split logs that are 25 inches in length and 16 inches in diameter, and the unit’s Honda G270 engine will automatically idle down when it is not being used, so you save money on gas.
If your unit does happen to get jammed, it comes with a patented log stripper to automatically remove debris from the wedge. It has a hydraulic pump that adjusts pressure based on the strength of your wood, so you always split your wood instead of shattering it.
- 90 x 45 x 45 inch unit
- 5 x 24 inch log cylinder
- Two-inch ball coupler for towing
- Automatic cylinder return
- 34.3 tons of continuous force
- 14 second splitting cycle
- Honda GX270 engine
- 1.4 gallon fuel tank
- The engine shuts down when low on oil for safety
The NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical splitter uses premium components and features to make log splitting a breeze. The unit’s features save you time, and they increase your output; you can depend on this machine to give you durability and strength every single time that you use it. You know that this unit is made of quality materials when you see its industrial strength I-beams reinforced with steel beams.
You can’t go wrong with this unit. It’s perfect for people who need a quality industrial strength unit with a wedge design to prevent jamming. The unit is heavy, but if you don’t plan on moving it very much, we definitely suggest that you check this one out.
- One-year warranty
- Dual split design
- Tested and approved for field work
- Dependable one-year warranty
- Fuel efficiency
- Durable design
- Can be used horizontally or vertically
- 560 pounds; tough to maneuver
4. WEN 56222 LUMBERJACK GAS-POWERED LOG SPLITTER
The WEN offers users 22 tons of splitting power at an affordable price; you can use the seven-inch splitting wedge to quickly split large and tough logs without a hitch. What’s great about this unit is that it comes with a large trailer, so you never have to worry about it tipping over and breaking when you transport it. It offers you two different splitting positions, so you have tons of flexibility when splitting wood.
The WEN is a great deal for people who are concerned with price, but don’t let its low price fool you; it’s a dependable and powerful unit that uses innovative design to make log splitting fast and easy.
- Two position beam to split logs at different heights
- Large tires and low profile make it stable during transport
- Tandem hitch for towing a trailer along with the splitter
- Weighs 218 pounds
This unit is great for people who need a portable splitter that doesn’t sacrifice the quality and strength that comes with a larger unit. The unit’s unique towing mechanism and dual height splitting abilities really make it special. It’s nicely built, and it’s shipped ready to use; you can literally use it as soon as you get it.
If you are looking to spend your money wisely, then this unit is one of the best gas log splitters out there. It’s powerful, durable and easy to transport, and it ships assembled with everything you need to get started. Overall, this unit offers excellent value for its price.
- Shipped with all fluids included; this saves you time and money
- Two-position design for flexibility
- 22 tons of splitting power
- Can have a hard time splitting non seasoned wood with knots in it
5. YARDMAX YS2865 GAS LOG SPLITTER
YARDMAX is a popular name in the log splitting industry, and this 28-ton gas-powered unit lives up to the reputation that YARDMAX has earned. The unit comes with a powerful Honda engine, so you can easily split tough wood like hickory, oak and birch without having to worry about jamming and machine failures.
The cast iron wedge on this unit quickly powers through logs. It has a quick cycle time of 19 seconds, and it’s easy to assemble; you’ll be splitting logs minutes after you get this machine.
- 28 tons of RAM force
- Two-stage hydraulic pump
- Three-gallon hydraulic reservoir
- Can be used vertically or horizontally
- Hitch and jack stand
- Two-year warranty
This splitter is perfect for people who need dependability and reliability. You can split all types of wood, and the hydraulic pump has the gusto to get through it without getting stuck during the process. The full cycle on this machine is a little slower than other units, but if you aren’t splitting on an industrial scale, then this really shouldn’t matter. The platform is a perfect height; people love that they can split wood quickly without having to worry about back pain or injury.
This unit is made for durability; the hydraulics inside of it are sealed, and we’ve heard of people leaving it out in the rain for extended periods of time without damage. We don’t recommend doing this, but it proves our point; this unit can withstand a lot of abuse before it breaks.
- 28 tons of force
- Horizontal or vertical operation
- 16 x 4.8 inch tires for stability
- Replaceable cast-iron splitting wedge
- Gas needs to be emptied manually when put in storage for a long time; gas line needs to be disconnected and drained.
6. SPEECO HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL GAS LOG SPLITTER
The SpeeCo Horizontal/Vertical log splitter uses a 10 horsepower Briggs Stratton commercial-grade engine to power through tough logs with 28 tons of force. It’s also made to last; it comes with a patented Transport Guard system to make sure that your engine has a smooth and long life. The unit uses a hydraulic pump to power its wedge, and its large cylinder can split logs that are 26 inches in diameter.
If you need to split large logs with this unit, you can roll them over and use the unit vertically. If you have smaller pieces of wood, you put them on the horizontal beam and split them with ease.
- Measures 78 x 49 x 42 inches; weighs 590 pounds
- Two-stage hydraulic pump; 10 horsepower commercial-grade engine
- Auto return for easy loading
- Operates vertically and horizontally
- Eight-inch splitting wedge
- Side beam support
- 12-inch wheels for easy towing
- Cylinder diameter of 4.5 inches
The SpeeCo Gas Splitter makes quick work of all your biggest projects. It’s a heavy-duty unit that can easily be moved with a trailer. It operates horizontally and vertically, so you have a lot of flexibility when using it. The unit exerts 28 tons of force, so you’ll never have to worry about a log that is too tough to handle.
We definitely recommend this powerful and compact splitter. If you’re serious about your work, then this unit will help you get it done quickly and effectively. The SpeeCo is built to last, so you never have to worry about shoddy craftsmanship preventing you from doing your work.
- Compact trailer; can be towed
- Vertical or horizontal positioning
- 10 horsepower engine
- Eight-inch steel wedge
- 11.5 seconds per cycle
- When you get this unit, hydraulic fluid isn’t included, so you’ll have to fill it yourself.
7. RUGGEDMADE GAS POWERED HYDRAULIC LOG SPLITTER
The RuggedMade Gas Log Splitter gives you 28 tons of power with a convenient electric starter. The unit has a heavy-duty steel frame, and its log cradles make bending down to pick up wood after it is split a thing of the past.
The unit’s powerful Briggs Stratton engine uses two pumps to quickly split tough logs, and it comes with a handy hitch that allows you to tow the unit through all types of terrain.
- Measures 90 x 41 x 39 inches; weighs 559 pounds
- 11.5 horsepower engine; maximizes power for efficient performance
- 28 tons of vertical and horizontal splitting power
- Two-stage pump for better cycle times
- Five-gallon hydraulic tank; you can observe liquid levels with a glance
- Wedge made of steel for tough and efficient splitting
- Vertical position lock for safety
The RuggedMade makes quick work of your large projects; its unbelievable power can get through tough and knotty wood without a problem. It weighs in at about 600 pounds, so you know that it’s tough and durable. It comes with a big and powerful engine, and it can split wood all day without overheating or clogging. If you want a heavy-duty splitter for large jobs, then this unit is one of the best gas log splitters out there.
This is a very nice unit. It does run slower than some other units, but its power makes up for it. You never have to worry about clogs or broken components. It starts easily with the push of a button, and you never have to strain yourself with a choke and cable to get it started.
- Electric starter
- Vertical and horizontal splitting positions
- Removable log cradles
- Easy to tow
- Steel-compound wedge for effective splitting
- It’s heavy, so you probably need two people to hook it up to your trailer.
8. SWISHER GAS POWERED LOG SPLITTER
The Swisher 28-ton splitter relies on a Briggs Stratton engine to power through your toughest logs without performance loss. The splitter uses a heavy-duty two-stage pump to exert the right amount of force for they type of wood that you choose to split, and the unit can work both horizontally and vertically.
The manufacturers included a cold weather clutch with this unit, so it starts with ease in subzero temperatures. It has a beam lock for security in the vertical position, and its log cradles prevent logs from falling on the ground during the splitting process.
- 34 tons of splitting power
- 11.5 horsepower engine
- 22 seconds per cycle
- Trailer hitch and jack stand included
- Three-year warranty
- Wheels are 15 inches; unit can be towed on major roads
This unit uses a powerful engine to quickly split large and small logs. You never have to worry about how hard your wood is when you use this unit; its 34 tons of splitting power can easily get through almost anything without a hitch. It comes with a three-year warranty, so you know that the manufacturers truly believe in the product that they are selling.
We definitely recommend this splitter. It can be towed on major roads, so it’s very portable. If you need power, then this unit gives you 34 tons of it; we think that this is the best gas log splitter for people who need power and dependability in a unit that can be easily moved.
- Five gallon hydraulic tank; easily check fluid levels
- The cold clutch makes starting the unit a breeze
- Two-stage pump adjusts pressure
- Can be towed easily
- Beam lock and log cradle for security
- Assembly is required; it takes users about 45 minutes to assemble the unit.
9. SPORTSMAN EARTH SERIES GAS POWERED LOG SPLITTER
The Sportsman Earth Series Gas Log Splitter gives users great value along with a powerful 19 tons of splitting power; the unit’s nine horsepower engine can handle logs that are 24 inches in length and 12 inches in diameter. The unit features a two-stage gear pump to really give this unit extra power and efficiency.
If you need a unit that you can tow, then the Sportsmans’ 16 x 16.5 inch DOT approved tires should make you pretty happy; the unit comes with fenders and a two-inch ball hitch to make long-distance hauling a breeze. It has both vertical and horizontal splitting options, and it comes with a steel wedge that powers its way through tough wood.
- 19 tons of power capacity
- Nine horsepower engine
- Horizontal and vertical positions
- Eight-inch steel wedge
- 21 second cycle time
- 666 pounds
This unit is a powerhouse when it comes to splitting wood. Some people have had problems with the instructions, but once they get past this little hiccup, they have nothing but positive things to say about this splitter. It gives you all the power you need, and its two-stage pump guarantees that you’ll never have problems with efficiency. This is a great unit at a great price, and you really can’t beat 19 tons of splitting power.
The powerful engine in this unit can split all types of wood without hesitation. If you need power and dependability, then this unit will be perfect for you. We really like the horizontal and vertical abilities of this unit; if you need power and flexibility, then consider the Sportsmans Earth brand.
- DOT approved wheels
- Two-stage gear pump for power
- Vertical and horizontal splitting options
- Eight-inch steel wedge can handle large logs
- The unit is made in China, and the instructions can be hard to follow.
Factors To Consider While Buying a Log Splitter
Gas splitter type:
You must think about the type of gas splitter before heading for one. Basically, there are two that are popular in the market:
1. Hydraulic: Just like the name says, this is a type of gas log splitter that utilizes hydraulic to generate high presser so it can cut through the woods. Either log is pushed into the wedge or wedge is pushed into the log. Although opting for hydraulic splitter will offer slower cycle time but it will have a bunch of power to deliver. You can use it to split though wet and hardwoods easily.
The only drawback with such type is that the splitter will have a number of moving parts. And this can cause maintenance a pain.
2. Kinetic: This kind of gas splitter will cut through the logs with kinetic energy. It will utilize pinion gear and flywheels so it can generate the hitting movement. The system will have a quick cycle time at the expense of power since you will find it average. However, the kinetic one is very great for softer logs.
Quick cycle time:
The cycle time refers to time the machine would take to split through a log. The feature will vary depending on the size and performance of the splitter. If you have bigger unit, it will take about 20 seconds to split through big logs while the smaller unit takes as low as 3 seconds to split the smaller branches.
If you want to have the Best Gas Log Splitter, make sure the unit features a fast cycle time. Because this will help get the job done in lesser time. Not just that, it will also enhance your performance as well as productivity. For the suggestion, it’s better you get one having about 15 seconds of cycle time since it will give you an easy life.
Amount of power:
While hunting for a gas log splitter, you might see that the model name includes a number in ton. Don’t think that it’s the weight of the splitter. In fact, it refers to the amount of power that the machine generates with hydraulic mechanism.
So, you will have to decide on the amount of power which you will be needing for your projects before getting a gas log splitter.
You can consider two aspects to do that: Log density and Size.
- For a 6-in log, 4-ton unit will be a great pick.
- For a 12-in log, 10 to 16 ton unit will be a great pick.
- For a 24-in log, 30 ton or above will be a great pick.
There is another factor that can help you settle on the tonnage is the type of wood that you will be splitting. Drier and softer woods basically utilize lesser power while damp or hardwoods need more power since they have a bit of moisture.
When it comes to the small or low weight logs, horizontal splitter does amazing jobs since it can lift the logs and place in the guide easily. As far as vertical splitter is concerned, it’s better to pick the type when you are dealing with bigger and heavier logs. There are many models that let you change the position of log splitter with ease. And this will let you work with both small and big projects more easily.
Capacity of fuel
Look for a gas splitter that will be able to hold an adequate amount of fuel so you can carry out your duties smoothly. This will not only make the supply of fuel consistent but also keep the machine running efficiently. Not just that, bigger fuel capacity will also avert interruptions from having to fuel the unit again. However, since you will be checking out the capacity of fuel, also make sure you get a splitter that is designed with removable parts for easy cleaning purpose.
Who Should Buy a Gas Powered Log Splitter?
Although the benefits might have given you answer of why you should be having a gas splitter. But who should have such machine is something that you must know as well. Basically, gas splitters are ideal for those who:
Wishes to avoid getting their hands dirty: Gas powered log splitter is a great pick if you hate getting your hands dirty by cutting the logs. Since the machine does the job for you, you will have lesser hands in the process.
Wants electricity-free convenience: If you don’t like the restriction that majority of the log splitters like electric ones offer, then gas log splitter is for you. Since this doesn’t need any electricity outlet that basically is the restriction, you can do the job with ease in remote locations and enjoy its portability and convenience.
Has heavy-duty projects: Gas powered log splitter has a bunch of power and productivity to offer. They are available from about 8-ton to 34 ton. Be it a hydraulic one or kinetic one, both the type do the job effectively. There can be some compromises but the result in the end will definitely be satiating.
Wants to split through tougher logs: The gas splitter is ideal for the people who want to split through bigger and tougher logs particularly the ones which have been heated with wood fuel.
Wishes to cut through bigger logs: If you want to cut through a log that is longer than 20 inches long and 12 inches diameter, then you should get yourself a gas splitter. Because such gas log splitter has the ability to do the job with ease while the other types fail.